Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Reflections -- A Pleasant Buzz

As a member of our PTA presidency I was asked to oversee the Reflections contest this year. It has been long overlooked at our school (3 entries last year) and our president wanted to revive the program. My friend Lori helped me and together we pulled it off. This year's theme was "Beauty Is...".

A few weeks ago we held a short assembly to get the kids excited to participate. Yesterday we collected, sorted and had all the entries that had been turned in judged. We had over 30 entries turned in! Today we hung them in the display case for the school to see with award ribbons on them.

We left the school feeling the buzz of a project well done and over (or nearly over). :) Thursday after school we take them down and send the 1st place winners on to council. Then we get to hand back the other entries with participation prizes. The only thing to do after that is have fun shopping for the awards and prizes for the winners. :)

Here are the proud mommy moments of it all...

1) Sunshine Boy took 3rd place in his age group for visual art! I know I'm his mommy, but, I think he should have placed higher. However, I wasn't allowed to judge. ;)





If you can't tell, that is the Earth and Moon. :) (The first place winner's drawing was of butterflies and flowers. I guess the judges found them more beautiful. ;) )

2)Princess Bug took 1st place in her age group for photography!! Her submission will go on to compete at council with a chance to move on to State. These were the two photos she turned in. We enlarged them to 5x7 and mounted them portrait style (in the order seen here) on a 11x14 sheet of black foam core. Printed, the pinks were equally intense.





Pretty good for a, at the time, nine year old don't you think? Her grandpa sold Princess Bug a really good, older model digital camera for a SCREAMING deal just before we went on vacation this year. What the camera lacks in mega pixels it more than makes up for with its Zeiss lens. (Those of you who know photography will get the lens thing.) Then he gave her a quick lesson on how to use it. These photos came out of that very first photo shoot. Can you believe it? :)

Between having the project pretty much over and having my kids do so well, I'm feeling a pretty good buzz about Reflections.






(Too bad I didn't get that buzz after Super Saturday make up night tonight. But, that's a different blog post entirely. :P)

5 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

I'm oversee Reflections at our school too. (Just oversee...not actually in charge, luckily.) Its a huge thing at our school...we got 168 entries. We swapped judges with another school so tonight I'm the literature judge at Antelope Elementary. I'm glad you had fun with Reflections. Overall, I'm rather sick of the whole thing.

Carin said...

Both the kids did a wonderful job!

Helena said...

Awesome. The photos are gorgeous!

Natalie said...

I don't think we have anything quite like the Reflections contest at our school, but I remember participating myself as a child. Great work! (All of you!)

Kate said...

Way to go, guys!! That's so exciting. The pictures are beautiful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails