Sunday, January 2, 2011

It's a bad sign...

I think it's a bad sign that your year didn't go quite the way you had planned when you look at your spouse and ask, "What was the word I picked for a goal word last year?" Even worse, not remembering until the moment you asked that you had even picked a one word goal for the year. For any of you that might be interested, you can read about the word better here. I wish I had read and reread that post myself...frequently. Oh well.

How to describe 2010? Challenging? Eventful? Emotional? Stressful? There was certainly plenty of stress to go around. But, what I really want (and need) to focus on is just how blessed we were in 2010.

Just a few of the blessings (in no particular order) of 2010 include SunshineBoy's baptism as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,  the addition of a beautiful, healthy baby boy to our family, coming through a car wreck, while pregnant, with only very minor injuries, and fun family vacations to Omaha and Posey Lake.

I think even more important to remember than the big blessings were the myriad of smaller, ongoing (and maybe more significant in their own way) blessings we had on a daily basis. We were always able to pay our mortgage and bills and we always had food to eat. We have incredibly supportive parents, extended family, and friends. We have the opportunity to get educations. We have no major health issues. We have reliable transportation and a safe, comfortable home. And I could go on and on, which in and of itself is a blessing.

Looking back at the old year, I'm not sure I did a very good job at being better at very many things. I pray that, at least, I didn't get worse at anything. I hope that I can remember that even if I wasn't better, I was blessed.

Which, I think, brings me to me my word for 2011.

GRATEFUL

I hope and pray that if I make a greater effort to recognize and acknowledge the hand of the Lord in my life on a daily basis, I will naturally become a better, more Christ-like person in 2011.

I have a friend whose blog I have been reading over the past year or so. During that time I have come to admire her even more deeply than I did before. In an effort to remind myself to be more GRATEFUL in 2011, I'm going to blatantly steal a feature from her blog. ;) I hope you enjoy the new addition here as much as I have enjoyed reading it on her blog.


Good things:
--The gospel of Jesus Christ
--My wonderful husband, kids, and extended family
--The opportunity to think about the year past and plan for the year ahead.

3 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

I think the only reason I remembered my word from last year was because I had it printed out in vinyl and hung it on my wall!! No way possible to forget when I see it numerous times daily! :)

Funny...even though my word is not Grateful this year like yours is, I also have been feeling like I needed to focus on my blessings. My cute little Brandon gave me an awesome new journal for Christmas. (It's leather, and has an owl on the front. I love owls.) I decided to turn it into a thankful journal and list 3 things each night that I am grateful for.

Cynthia said...

I had a great time with my WOTH last year and really found ways to apply it. For this year, I chose 'Enough' (which goes right along with gratitude) but, honestly, the word just isn't speaking to me. That's probably why you didn't move forward with your own word last year- it wasn't motivating enough. My last year's word was DARE!!! and I did! It was scary but worth it. My friend chose the word 'Cultivate' and I totally want to steal it!

One of my favorite sayings is "Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men." With all your little ones, it's probably not the time in your life YET where you can apply that

Ang said...

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.....steal away my friend! I remember my word from last year but I don't think I did what I should have with my word. I have to keep thinking for this year!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails