Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Let me 'splain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

RM will finally be finishing his Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering this semester (or there will be heck to pay ;) ). We have applied for a grant that would fund his PhD and give us a stipend to live on while he researches. He wants a PhD because he'd like to teach Mechanical Engineering at a university. We are supposed to find out if the grant has come through some time in December. We have been going under the premise that if we get funded we'll do the PhD and if we don't get funded, we'll get a job. However, life being what it's like with five kiddos instead of four, we are considering getting a job even if the funding comes through. We can see many benefits to both options.

Since financially we have reached the point where we either need the grant or a job ASAP, RM put out several resumes at an engineering job fair at the U of U a couple of weeks ago. He has had at least a half dozen companies express interest and ask for interviews. So far we've had promising interviews from companies in Idaho Falls and Flagstaff/Phoenix. We have other interviews lined up with companies in Clearfield, Lehi, Washington, Michigan, and Albuquerque.

So, if funding comes through and we accept the grant or if we land a job on the Wasatch Front, we're staying put for at least a little while. Otherwise, we may be relocating as soon as the new year.

Needless to say, I'm feeling a little stressed.

As I chatted online with a friend tonight he shared with me a really great insight. I asked him if I could quote him on my blog. His response?

Only if I get a cut of the royalties...How about this: every person who reads and comments on my quote has to send me a job referral. And you have to say that the quote came from "my wisest and truest friend, Christian H Gibbs. (The H stands for Humble)

So, without further ado, here is his amazing insight:

I have a theory that at some point in our lives, the Lord pulls a 'Brother of Jared' moment on us. Tells us we have to make a drastic change in our lives, and when we ask him about details like 'how are we supposed to light the boats', instead of giving us the answer he says "What do YOU want to do?"

I think he's just about hit the nail on the head. I don't think it's a matter of a right and wrong choice for our family so much as a good, better, best choice. And, for some reason, those don't seem to be easy choices to make.

My friend gave me a bit of parting advice:

The brother of Jared formed a plan, then went to the Mountain of the Lord and humbly asked if his plan was acceptable. In other words, GO TO THE TEMPLE. GO DIRECTLY TO THE TEMPLE. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT $200.

I think we'll be taking this very sound advice...just as soon as we have decided on a plan. :P

PS...Christian is looking for a job in software development if anyone out there can hook him up. :D

PPS...Just found this compilation video on Youtube. Too funny not to share (even though I've shared parts of it before.)

4 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Okay....I LOVE your post title! "The Princess Bride" is my very favorite movie of all time. Plus, it's VERY fitting to your life and specific post content right now. :) Thanks for the giggle.

And yes, I agree with the thought the those good, better, best decisions are the hardest ones. There isn't any clear cut right or wrong. And so you pick one...and it's right, and you don't regret your choice, really...but you wonder about the other, knowing that it would've been good too. It's hard. But how awesome that "RM" is almost done with his masters and that he is having such great interviews. Stressful, certainly...the waiting and wondering of what will come of it all in the next few months. Hang in there! :)

And sorry...I don't have any computer software job referrals...

Jessica said...

I vote for Idaho Falls! :)

Cynthia said...

If he plans to teach eventually, he will be the most effective teacher if he has spent time both in academia AND the regular workforce. Professors are notorious for being out of touch with the real world. That does NOT help their students who will have to find a way to make a difference in that world. Much easier to hide in an Ivory Tower than to get your hands dirty applying the knowledge. ZBeing able to prepare students to APPLY their knowledge by understanding himself how it is done will make both him and his students more marketable.

The tech sector is still in reasonably good shape. My BIL has been offered several jobs over the last year and he hasn't spent a lot of time looking since he's the temporary stay-at-home Dad while my sis is busy changing the world (or at least the 3rd Congressional District).

Anonymous said...

I am going to be so sad if you guys move! But, if its a great opportunity for your family...I guess I can accept it...sigh. :) I liked the Simpson clip! Let me know if you guys need any help and my kids would like your kids to come over soon...I'll call you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails